Friday, September 19, 2014

Fall Green Roof Research Intro

My focus of our project is on soil carbon content. I have two experimental questions. First: will added live versus sterile inoculum promote an increase in soil carbon? Second: do sedum species versus native prairie plants lead to higher soil carbon levels? To answer these questions I must be able to accurately measure the carbon in the soil. My goal this semester is just that: get reliable soil carbon data for our experimental trays by using the Flash CN Analyzer. 

Before I can run our real samples, I have to practice preparing samples and running standards and samples with the analyzer using excess soil. This coming week, Susanna and I will collect the end-of-season soil samples for our experiment. From there I will need to grind the soil, finalize the Flash analyzer protocol, and begin running samples.  The Flash Analyzer, which I described in detail in a previous post, is intimidating, but I am excited about the potential data sets we could get; that is if I can get good at using the machine.

This semester, I also want to work on scoring the MIP root slides for our mychorrizal data, but this is secondary because the slides are easily preserved where as I need the carbon data to continue my project. I am also looking forward to helping Susanna with her project which deals in part with soil water retention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment